Laptop Keeps Freezing – Causes And Fixes


Wondering why your Laptop keeps freezing? If Yes, then read this post

Laptop is portable, and its mobility is the main cause for its mishandling and other problems, the some causes for laptop freeze are given below...

  • Age of the laptop
  • How badly had it been used
  • Overheating
  • OS files
  • Hardware drivers
  • Cluttered registry


Let’s take a closer look at the reasons I think are most common for causing a laptop to keep freezing.

Age of Laptop:  If your laptop age is 2-3 years then it might be the cause laptop freeze due to some hardware issue... Might be RAM, hard disk , processor is troubling.

Overheating: If you have a laptop that is a few years old and has been through maximum uses, there is a good chance that it may be experience overheating problems. If your laptop is freezing after 20 to 30 minutes after turning it on, it could very well be related to overheating. Take a moment to locate the ventilator where the fan blow air out of your laptop and put your hand in front of it to see if there is any kind of air at all coming out. You may also find that there is a good amount of dust build up on this ventilator. Don’t be afraid to take some canned air and blow all of the dust out.
TROUBLESHOOTING TIP: One sure way to pin point overheating as the reason your laptop keeps freezing, is to boot your computer and enter the system setup. This can be done usually by hitting F2 or delete. Once you have entered the System Setup, just let your laptop sit there and run. If it finally freezes up, then laptop has overheating issue.

Drivers: All of the major brands such as HP, Dell, Acer and Sony all have drivers made or designed specifically for their laptops. Not having these specific drivers installed could be a reason why your laptop keeps freezing. Specially your video card driver. So if you have a branded laptop, then visit their website and download the latest video driver they have for your specific model. It may sometimes be a few years old, but I recommend that you continue to use it because if there was a change that needed to be made to the driver, then they would have updated it. Use Driver scanner.

Windows Registry: Every time you install a new application or download a cool new game, there are entries made into your laptops registry. even after you uninstall it more than likely there will still be several registry entries left in your computer. Over time, these tend to build up and can cause things like laptop freezes, weird errors or just slow your laptop down. Use any registry cleaner.

Operating System: If reasons above are not the causefor laptop freeze then corrupted operating system files could be the reason your laptop keeps freezing. If you laptop is blue-screening on you, or if it is locking up hard but not rebooting, then you most likely have an OS issue. I would recommend doing a Windows Repair on your system. Take note, you do not want to do a whole system restore because if you do this, you will lose all of your data.

In short, if your laptop keeps freezing, then first look at overheating as being the source especially if your laptop is more than 2 years old. Next, take a look at the drivers. Make sure you have the manufacturers recommended drivers installed. If these two things check out, then you may be having some problems with the Operating System files. I would recommend doing a Windows Repair. This takes about 30 minutes to do and  you will not lose any of your data or programs. Still your problem exists It might be hardware issue...


18 comments:

  1. how to do a windows repair..??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a great job. You did things the right way from get go by launching it properly. We can learn a lot from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. RAM was changed, HDD was changed 2 times, drivers don't have an effect (neither from ASUS support nor updater software), computer is as clean as a surgeons scalpel, also I changed thermopaste on my CPU and GPU, registry was cleaned up to no avail and I tried multiple installations of different OSes (Windows 7, 8.1, Linux Mint, Ubuntu...) with little change... when I started experiencing these freezing issues (a few times a day some time ago, now almost constantly) my laptop was probably 1.5-2 years old (bought it brand new)... any other things I could try ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, thought I'd add a little description of what kind of freezes I'm experiencing, just in case I'm looking in wrong words... my laptop stops working for about a minute or two while HDD seems to stop, programs don't respond, mouse pointer moves then stops for a few seconds after which the HDD seems to kick back into gear and the computer continues operation, sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for 1-2hrs until next freeze

      Delete
  4. Hi, Just had my laptop factory reset after backing everything up, But it's still crashing, I have a cooling stand to prevent heat build up, but still it crashes. Its about 2 and 1/2 years old, Toshiba with windows 7 on it. I have looked after it, and been careful, I do game but my laptop has sufficient ram to run them. I did have a bad virus on it a couple years ago, but that was just unlucky, It had been affecting a lot of computers in my area at the time, not sure if my laptop has ever been the same. I'm considering buying a newer lighter laptop for university anyway. Tried restores and fixes, defrags, clean-ups, everything I can think of and still having freezes and crashes. any suggestions? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every392.blogspot.com

    Find more solution a

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have problems with my laptop LCD monitor (unsure whether it is LED monitor or LCD monitor)... anyway it has intermittent (same problem that comes and goes) issues is that there are blue wavy lines appearing as soon as I started the laptop. The computer technician says it could be due to the graphics card problem that may require the on-board graphics chip to be replaced and / or the internal display cable too might need to be changed. I was advised if I think it is too costly to change them or not worthwhile to change them, then I should consider buying a new laptop. I must confess I have dropped the laptop once and unsure whether this problem is the result of the fall or just an aging (wear and tear) problem.

    Sarah
    American Classifieds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing
    Laptops for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. laptop

    ReplyDelete
  9. No doubt about blog. Morethan 100% you deserve to be rated. here is the another info related to laptop hanging or freeze

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog along with good and useful information regarding "Laptop Keeps Freezing – Causes And Fixes". Very nice sharing ...Thank you too much.. Hp Laptop Service Center

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Article in terms of real solution not only just article topic. I am sure readers are going to be benefited by this post.. Me too Thank You Team.. Keep it Up..Laptop Repair Home Service

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post.
    Laptop Repair Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete